Are Your Windows and Doors Ready for the Cold in Calgary, AB?
Whether or not you are ready, the colder weather is hitting Calgary and there is still time to make sure your windows and doors are prepped for winter. Regularly checking your windows and doors helps ensure that your home keeps you comfortable and helps save on energy bills.
What steps can you take to prepare your windows and doors for colder temperatures?
- Check to see if your windowsills and all the moving parts are clean – Dirt and debris residing in windowsills or the moving parts on your home’s windows and doors can reduce the tightness and seal when closed.
- Inspect your weather stripping – Weather stripping helps to keep air from entering the home when windows and doors are closed. It can become loose or torn over time, so check it out and reattach any loose portions or replace sections that are ripped.
- Reapply caulk or sealant around windows and doors – Rain, water and sunlight can harm exterior sealants and caulk. Get rid of damaged material and apply new sealant.
- Repair or replace damaged exterior surfaces – Take a look at your exterior surface for signs of moisture leaking, such as cracked or deteriorated wood. Replacing the damaged wood helps to keep cold air and moisture from find its way into your home.
- Install storm doors – Storm doors help to add an additional layer of security from air and moisture and improves energy performance.
- Install snap-in blinds or shades – Not only does this increase your privacy, but it also helps to insulate your home.
- Upgrade to energy-efficient windows and doors – If your home has single-pane glass, clear glass, or your windows and doors are older, you may be paying more than you should to heat your home. Our experts can talk to you about newer, energy-efficient windows and doors.
If you want more information about preparing your your home’s windows and doors for winter, contact your local Showroom in Calgary at 403-681-6363.