There is a stage every Calgary winter when you can’t seem to find the root of the draft in your home. It could possibly be originating from a window that isn’t shut or sealed properly. Even the thinnest of cracks can make homes uncomfortable and frosty, possibly resulting in:
- Cold air escaping into your home
- Increased heating and cooling costs
According to the Environmental Protection Agency’s Energy Star program, you can save 10 percent on your total energy bill, or 20 percent of your heating and cooling costs, with correctly sealed windows. To help save money and decrease drafty air from entering your home, it’s critical to be able to identify where these window drafts may be coming from and why. Here are some useful tips to find your Calgary home’s drafts and examine for issues:
- Search for gaps and breaks in uncommon locations of air leakage, such as knee walls, outdoor faucets, attic access points or just the normal windows with functional capabilities and use a painless visual inspection.
- Examine to ensure that windows and doors are closed and latched.
- Guarantee the sealant or gasket around the workable portion of the window or door is properly sealing.
- Inspect the installation by verifying if the draft is passing through the window or around the window, between the window and the rough opening. A window will only perform as well as it is installed.
- Call an expert from Pella Windows and Doors in Calgary to have them perform a home energy audit.
Once you’ve found where the draft or air leakage is deriving from, the next step is to attend to the foundation of the draft or air leakage. As always, give the specialists in Calgary a call at 403-681-6363 with any further questions or potential replacement needs.