How to Properly Clean Windows in Calgary, AB
A window provides you with an amazing view to the outdoors, lets light in and helps protect your family from harsh weather. That means your windows see a lot of action. From dirt, water and dust on the outside to finger prints or pets on the inside, your windows’ glass gets dirty pretty quick. Luckily, cleaning the glass in windows is fairly simple.
You can clean your original replacement windows in five easy steps. Many Pella windows have easy-clean features that make it easier for you to clean the exterior glass from the inside. Here’s our window cleaning process.
- Brush off your window sills. You want to get rid of the dirt, dust and anything else that is stuck on the window sills and ledges to prevent smearing the glass later on.
- Now’s a good time to clean the screens, too. Run your vacuum’s dusting brush attachment over the side of the screen that faces in.
- Use a premixed vinegar-based cleaning solution (create your own with one part white vinegar to 10 parts water), and apply to a soft, clean, lint-free cloth or paper towel. You can also use an ammonia-free glass cleaner such as Pella's glass cleaner, Windex® or Sparkle®. Spray the cleaner generously, but try to prevent cleaning solutions from getting on the wood, fiberglass or vinyl frames, as they may discolor the finish.
- Rub from several different directions and let air dry.
- Rinse with clean water if streaks remain after cleaning.
For the clearest view, we’d also recommend cleaning your windows on a cloudy day. The sun can dry the solution too quickly, leaving streaks on your window glass. Your Pella professionals in Calgary prefer using microfiber cloths to clean window glass since it’s lint-free and will not leave tiny particles behind.
Your windows could look so clean, you might forget the glass is even there. Now that’s what we call a perfect view.
Please note: You should not use ammonia- or alcohol-based glass cleaners. These solutions will leave streaks or a film that attracts moisture and dust. See your owner’s manual to learn more about cleaning other parts of your wood windows, vinyl windows or fiberglass windows, or get in touch with your Pella Windows Showroom in Calgary.