Looking for New Windows in Your Calgary, AB Home? Pella has Tips to Help Make the Right Choice
When shopping for windows for your remodeling or new construction project, you most likely want to choose the best windows for your project and budget. As you evaluate your options, ponder these facts:
- Windows can affect the interior and exterior character of your Calgary area home.
- The windows you pick can make a measureable difference in your home’s comfort level and energy costs.
- The construction of your windows can have a positive cost impact on the overall value of your Calgary area home if or when you decide to sell.
If you take the time to explore the style and function selections available, you will be delighted with your purchase and enjoy the pleasure of looking through your new windows for decades.
What factors should you consider when purchasing replacement windows for your Calgary home?
- What do they look like? Remember that you are going to see your replacement windows most often from the interior of your house, not standing outside of it. Picture things in your mind from inside and study the view carefully; is the color, style and type of window suitable with your home’s décor? Is the window accessible for regular cleaning? Will I need to control the amount of sunlight shining in through the window? And remember to stand outside from multiple viewing positions to determine if the style of replacement window you are considering complements with the fascia of your Calgary home.
- How much expected energy savings can I expect with these windows? Understand the data relating to your windows that relate to their energy efficiency. Among the issues to consider are U-values and Low-E insulating glass with argon windows, and weatherstripping. For instance, U-values identify the insulating value of windows. The best windows have low U-values to help keep out extreme temperatures. Identify ratings of efficiency before you purchase a window to help reduce heating and cooling expenses and receive the most value for your investment.
- How will my new windows function? Just like purchasing a new automobile, it is important to open and close a window before you settle on one. Can you open or shut the window easily? Will the window be easy to clean? Can the window hardware (or the crank handle) fold away in order to leave window blinds or shades undisturbed? If the window will be an exit from the home during emergency situations in case of fire, make sure it opens easily and provides an adequately-sized opening.
- How will you install the windows? Installing your windows is either included with the overall purchase price or requires an outside contractor. If you are using the services of contractor, it may be smart to inquire about installation price and included services prior to ordering your windows.
- How will you maintain your windows? The weather in the Calgary area can be unpredictable. Wind, rain, sun and snow can have a negative impact on the appearance of the glass, especially on low quality windows. Consider low-maintenance options like aluminum cladding or in-between-the-glass grilles .
- What color and hardware options are available? The color you select can reflect your style and adds to the overall appeal of your Calgary home. Some window producers offer limited exterior color to pick from. Identify what color schemes are in place for the windows you want. In addition, there are many window hardware options that should match with other hardware options in your home, such as cabinetry hardware, faucets and other fixtures.
- How much does a quality window cost? The philosophy ”you get what you pay for” applies to many products, and windows are no exception. The least expensive windows may not be your best buy. Windows are an investment in your property. The type of window you select should be based more on performance than on price.
We invite you to visit Pella at the Calgary area Showroom to learn more about your choices, or give us a call at 403-681-6363.